THE STRUCTURE OF LEARNING
“Many of the most creative persons in human history have had significant learning problems:
Thomas Edison, Winston Churchill, Pablo Picasso, Albert Einstein.
Far from being crippled by these difficulties, these were able to build on their strengths to make remarkable distinctive contributions.” Howard Gardner (1993, p. 205)
Accessing Your Best Learning States for an Accelerated Frame of Mind
• Do you know how to grab a book and suck all of the learnings and vital information out of it?
• Would you like to learn the art of absorbing ideas from books and trainings? Does “book learning” or “abstract concepts” turn you off or on? How ferocious or effective are you as a learner? How does this effect your earnings, sales, career, relationship, understandings, etc.?
• Would you like to learn like the experts learn and develop your own learning excellence?
• When you sit down to learn, do you always immediately access your learning genius state?
A Vision for Learning Excellence
Do you have a personal vision of accelerated learning for yourself?
This means accelerating the speed, quality, comprehension, creativity, and power of your mind. This means enhancing one of your most distinguishing features as a human being
— learning. It means learning to use your brain with more precision, focus, and control. It means developing a key skill for success in the 21st century with information, communication, creativity, and change becoming central to adapting.
- How much confidence do you have in your current skills, competency, and expertise in learning?
- Has anyone (including yourself) ever insulted or downgraded your learning skills? Attached some “learning disability” label to it?
- How quickly can you (or do you) go into a state of judgment, harshness, or insult when you don’t pick something up immediately, thoroughly, or quickly?
- What is your learning style? What are your best learning states?
- How quickly can you turn on an accelerated learning state and be “in the zone” of learning?
WHERE EDUCATION GOES WRONG
Growing up in the current educational systems has caused most of us to have been mis-educated about learning. Formal schooling has even traumatized some people with regard to “learning.”
How has “education” typically gone wrong?
How has it created various blocks to learning?
It Assumes Too Much.
Educators and teachers began from the assumption that we all just naturally know how to learn and so did not teach us the most basic learning skills. They assumed we didn’t need to learn about learning.
“Most students do what they think will work. If it doesn’t work well, the diligent
students will try harder … until they are frustrated and fall behind … resulting in
emotional problems, behavior problems, and loss of self-esteem.” (Blackerby, p. 12)
It is too Passive.
Education has been primarily passive. The teacher “teaches” us— as students we are just to receive. This has undermined a sense of personal responsibility, proactivity and the passion for life-long learning.
It is too quick to Judge.
Education has traditionally been very quick to label: “slow,” “dumb,” “learning deficiency,” “under-achiever,” “attention deficient disorder.” Once the labels are attached and accepted, both teacher and learner adopt a determinist attitude. Judgment almost always blocks learning. The more judgments we have in our head and the quicker we are to judge ourselves or others, the more we sabotage our learning capabilities.
It discourages exploration, questions, and playfulness.
“School learning” has tended to become far too serious as students are constantly judged and evaluated. This has relegated exploration, curiosity, creativity and questions in service of conformity and the mass production of students.
Take Charge Of Learning
REALLY TAKE CHARGE OF YOUR LIFE THROUGH ACCESSING YOUR LEARNING GENIUS STATE
- Cut your learning curve for new knowledge in ½ or even 1/4 the time.
- Experience the joy and delight of learning itself. C Build and activate your own personal skills of accelerated learning. Learn more thoroughly and permanently. Increase your effectiveness, intelligence, creativity, and problem solving skills.
- Become a ferocious or passionate learner that doesn’t back off from following your dreams and making your visions come true.
- Eliminate blocks and limitations that have sabotaged your natural brilliance.
So what? Keep up with the pace of change and stay on the cutting-edge in today’s world. Make more money and increasing your wealth. Make smarter business and personal decisions with higher quality information. Use your God-given intelligence more insightfully and wisely. Experience richer and fuller relationships. Solve problems in half the time and effort. Accessing wisdom and discernment.
If you don’t know how your mind works —
Then how do you expect to develop the high level skills of a learning expert . . . the accelerated learning skills of your own natural brilliance? The fact is, if you don’t know how your mind works, you can’t. People with the so -called “learning disabilities” simply do not know how the mind works. Consequently they have trouble running it effectively. When you learn to run your own brain, learning excellence becomes a piece of cake.
As the speed of change continues to accelerate in our society, knowing how to learn (meta-learning) is going to become the most crucial skill for success, leadership, and expertise.